Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bountiful Baskets: second time around


I recently told you about Bountiful Baskets a produce buying co-op that is in several western states and is growing all the time.  I participated for the second and, sadly, last time since we are moving soon.  I had to share what I got in my basket.

All for a contribution of $15 plus a $1.50 handling fee. Organic baskets are available for $10 more.


My basket contained:

1 head green leaf lettuce
7 ears sweet corn
3 large artichokes
2 green peppers
2 cucumbers
8 onions
13 organic roma tomatoes
3lb bag of pink lady apples.
3 mangoes
1 pineapple
1 canteloupe
1 pint blackberries

I still have some bananas (they came green), a few slices of watermelon, one apple and some potatoes left from last time.  With a family of three, participating once every two weeks is plenty for us. I'm sad I'm moving somewhere they don't have Bountiful Baskets. No, it's not nearly as good as going to the local farmers market, but since the farmers markets here in Utah don't start up until the end of July and are generally finished before the end of September, this works beautifully for the rest of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks good. Can't wait for the farmer's stands to open around us. My brother and his wife participated in something like this where they live and loved it. They were introduced to some interesting veggies. It was cute to hear them discuss how they might use some of the things. A great program!

    ReplyDelete