Monday, February 8, 2010

A little routine . . . a little rest

Sometimes a little routine in your schedule can be a good thing.


We lead such busy lives that having a few dependable routines in your schedule can allow you to take a breather. Our Lord knew this when he set aside the Sabbath as a day of rest. Old Testament Law required that no cooking be done on the Sabbath. I must admit that we rarely ever have those old fashioned Sunday dinners at our house. I tend to not cook much on weekends. That's a little bit of Old Testament law that I continue to embrace.

After church on Sunday we often run an errand or two while we are out and about together and then find a restaurant when lunch time comes around. Sometimes this is time spent with good friends from church who we meet at a restaurant. In the afternoons we often watch a movie or do something around the house. We catch up with family on the phone. I frequently use this time to change and launder bedding since the machine does the work and I just have to oversee the process. It seems to take so much time when I do it during the week, but it's not a problem on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

And in the evenings we have started a new routine. I make a pot of hot tea to drink and a platter of various cold foods we happen to have in the refrigerator and pantry. We usually have cheese and crackers with some raw vegetables or I slice up some fresh fruit along with nuts, olives, salami or whatever else we happen to have. We enjoy this easy meal on the coffee table in the living room. It's our little family party that only takes a few minutes to prepare and even less time to clean up.

I have friends who enjoy Friday night pizza and game night every week or meatloaf Mondays before soccer practice. Some other friends take advantage of "kids eat free" night at a favorite restaurant or have "popcorn and smoothie" nights while watching movies. I think what matters is that this is special time set aside for the family that is also routine enough that it just happens.

A little routine . . . a little rest.

Sue

2 comments:

  1. Routines are good!! Tea is awesome! I am with you goirlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Sunday's sound lovely! I don't go in for Sunday roasts either as I just don't have the time to prepare it before Church and I don't want to have to rush home afterwards. We often simply have a very fattening egg and bacon sarnie! :)

    ReplyDelete